Saturday, September 24, 2011

Running

Well, here I sit. Out of high school. Out of sports. Out of college. To be honest, I have been feeling kind of crummy athletically for the past few years. I miss being in my athletic high school shape. Back then, I always wished I was in better shape too, but looking back... I was in good shape! (Our coaches sure knew how to whip us into shape for volleyball!) It seems like that's how it always is. At the time, we are not satisfied or happy with ourselves/lives, but when we look back, we see it in another light. Sure, we probably look through rose-colored glasses at the past, but that's not all bad. Anyways, I guess I am feeling nostalgic about my former athletic condition and am regretting my current one. Especially when I have a certain absolutely beautiful white dress to fit into (and hopefully take in) in 266 days! :)

To help me get back into a healthier version of myself, I am turning to running, as well as other cardio exercises along with strength training. My goal is to get back up to running 3-3.5 miles and if I am feeling great there, push myself to 4-5 miles. Two summers ago, I was running 3 miles a day in about 25-30 minutes, which is not the best but for not training for a marathon or anything, it was enough to make me happy. :) Running and I have had an off and on again relationship. As a young child/early teenager, that was ALL I wanted to do. Run, run, run. For some reason, after freshman year of high school hit, I didn't love it so much. Maybe it was all of the running we did in volleyball, but I just was burnt out by it. It was not my favorite. It still isn't my absolute favorite, but I know that it is a great way to work out my entire body and get a great workout! So I am setting out on this journey to rediscover the joy of running. Wish me luck! :)

P.S. I am thinking of investing in a good pair of Nikes. Any suggestions on which women's style is best? There are SOOOOO many to choose from! Right now, I am looking at these two shoes:

http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikewomen/en_US/shoes?hf=10001^12001^4294967132&p=PWP&t=Women%27s%20Running%20Shoes#?ll=en_US&ct=US&pid=401982&cid=101101&pgid=401983&p=PDP

http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikewomen/en_US/shoes?hf=10001^12001^4294967132&p=PWP&t=Women%27s%20Running%20Shoes#?ll=en_US&ct=US&pid=400880&cid=101101&pgid=384342&p=PDP

1 comment:

Consider Grace said...

Just wanted to say thanks for this post. I spent more time today than I care to admit looking at old pictures of myself and wishing I could change back into that body. Not a healthy way to spend time. But it's good to know I'm not alone in that.
Love you!
Anna Joy